Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-31-2015, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2016 06:19 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
This is how Wiki puts the 1846 incident:
"In 1846, when Lincoln ran for congress against Peter Cartwright, the noted evangelist, CARTWRIGHT TRIED to make Lincoln's religion or lack of it a major issue of the campaign. Responding to accusations that he was an "infidel", Lincoln defended himself, publishing a hand-bill to 'directly contradict' the charge made against him. The declaration was released as follows:

Handbill Replying to Charges of Infidelity

July 31, 1846

To the Voters of the Seventh Congressional District.

FELLOW CITIZENS:

A charge having got into circulation in some of the neighborhoods of this District, in substance that I am an open scoffer at Christianity, I have by the advice of some friends concluded to notice the subject in this form. That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrespect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular. It is true that in early life I was inclined to believe in what I understand is called the "Doctrine of Necessity"—that is, that the human mind is impelled to action, or held in rest by some power, over which the mind itself has no control; and I have sometimes (with one, two or three, but never publicly) tried to maintain this opinion in argument. The habit of arguing thus however, I have, entirely left off for more than five years. And I add here, I have always understood this same opinion to be held by several of the Christian denominations. The foregoing, is the whole truth, briefly stated, in relation to myself, upon this subject.

I do not think I could myself, be brought to support a man for office, whom I knew to be an open enemy of, and scoffer at, religion. Leaving the higher matter of eternal consequences, between him and his Maker, I still do not think any man has the right thus to insult the feelings, and injure the morals, of the community in which he may live. If, then, I was guilty of such conduct, I should blame no man who should condemn me for it; but I do blame those, whoever they may be, who falsely put such a charge in circulation against me.

July 31, 1846. A. LINCOLN."

Mahraba, how do you you know what made the voter's decision? Were there opinion polls in those days as for the question? And why don't you render it possible Lincoln had developed faith over the years, and especially in the course of the war?

I believe your premises to be wrong and subconsequently you to do Abraham Lincoln injust. I also cannot find see where he wanted to make people believe he followed Jesus Christ.

You say: "To my mind, the evidence is certain: Abraham Lincoln was an atheist from middle childhood all the way until this death" but couldn't yet provide any reliable evidence as for the presidential years while having been confronted with corroborating evidence of the opposite, which you so far have ignored. Instead you continue your accusations on no basis. Sorry, but I find this (meanwhile) annoying, and honestly I think we've had and heard enough of this.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Eva Elisabeth - 12-31-2015 09:45 PM