Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-14-2015, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2015 11:08 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
Maharba, why don't you comment on Roger's post #96, i.e.on what Lincoln privately wrote himself instead of re-and repeating what biased persons like Herndon produced - who, as Roger said, haven't even been close to him in his later years? Don't you think humans are capable to develop, gain insight and change? (If not it certainly makes no sense to further discuss...)

How reliable sources were these Joseph Lewis and Judge Wakefield? (As for the other judge Nelson remember he turned out to be a rather unreliable one.)

And as for Herndon's reliability - D. Donald in his Herndon bio and his "We are Lincoln Men" shows IMO quite well that a) it was Herndon who probably just did NOT want to entertain the notion that Abraham Lincoln was NOT an atheist, and b) that Herndon probably never understood Lincoln as well as Herndon wanted to believe, and was probably as intimate with him either (he had never ever even been privately invited - a friend?), the least in the last years.

Fact is we will never know, while there is indication he turned to or sought whatever kind of God during the presidency. The gospels on this thread keep going in tiresome circles, but I am sure to know what Lincoln would think about some of this - "I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice...I am used to it."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Eva Elisabeth - 12-14-2015 02:48 PM