Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-14-2015, 02:38 PM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
Folks who knew Lincoln later, and might have apprehended an evolving Christianity coming over him? I'm looking to see what Lamon, Speed, and Hayes had to say about Lincoln's purportedly evolved Christianity might have said. Can't find that just now, but I notice these other,

“The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.”
— Abraham Lincoln, from Joseph Lewis

My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- to Judge Wakefield, after Willie's death

"In religion, Mr. Lincoln was about of the same opinion as Bob Ingersoll (atheist), and there is no account of his ever having changed.
-- Judge Nelson

And I notice in past (and maybe present) years the almost ferocious outrage folks had at William Herndon statements on Lincoln who was his business partner and longtime friend. Christians just did NOT want to entertain the notion that Abraham Lincoln was an atheist. I see old clippings that snipe at Herndon. Things similar to "old broke down lawyer Herndon is bankrupt and near the end" or similar to "down on his luck old Herndon is dying of alcoholism". Which supposed news articles, to me, merely were transparent attacks on William Herndon for having the temerity to publish factual material on his good friend Lincoln. I'll say it again: I don't think Abraham Lincoln would be pleased at all the concocted and glowing narratives about his stainless life. He was a real man who lived a hard and rewarding life. And I don't think Abraham Lincoln would or should have any reason to be ashamed of being an atheist, nor should anyone else be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - maharba - 12-14-2015 02:38 PM