Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-12-2015, 08:23 PM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
I see supposed 'fragments' on this and that in dead letter Lincoln material: Niagra Falls, Golden apples, etc. This 'meditation' fragment sounds to me like future material being cooked for what amounted to another speech, the 2nd Inaugural. Many bible (oblique citations) there pointing the blame squarely on the divine hand of God. I wonder how many other 'fragments' of Lincoln's may still be out there. As Herndon and others have concluded, so I agree. Lincoln was an atheist. As it appears certain to me that Lincoln scorned The Thanksgiving Proclamation to others as 'just some nonsense of Sewards". But the longsuffering public, then, believed the sincerity.

Is it a 'loaded misleading question' to ask if Lincoln actually wrote or said something (which the general public has been assured is historical fact), when I know the opposite is fact:
Salmon Chase wrote the last paragraph to invoke God, Seward
wrote the entire Thanksgiving Proclamation? Perhaps a few, present or future, readers here may not have known that. And they may be surprised to learn it, and it may draw them to various conclusions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - maharba - 12-12-2015 08:23 PM