Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-11-2015, 10:09 PM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
Quote:As for "both Darwin and Lincoln are often compared" I, too, must say I haven't seen such comparison ever before, and, like Gene, I don't see any great deal in common than the date of birth.

There have been a few book-length studies of Lincoln and Darwin published in the past few years. Plus, the Smithsonian did a piece by Gopnik.

Maharba, there is no one in the world who would love to see it proven that Lincoln was an atheist his entire life as much as I would, but the evidence just isn't there, at least not in his later years. There are far too many references to a deity in his presidential addresses that show otherwise and to intimate that he was doing so as a cynical ploy to appease the population has to have more of a foundation before it can be sustained. No one has been able to prove that Lincoln was a Christian, and no one ever will, at least not in the sense that most people understand Christianity, but by the time the war was over he had seen too much bloodshed and had grieved deeply over the loss of Willie not to seek comfort in whatever form he understood religion to take.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Rob Wick - 12-11-2015 10:09 PM