Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-11-2015, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2015 09:55 PM by maharba.)
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
When I see excessively flowery usage as here, it looks to me like it was either written for Lincoln to recite as a matter of expected form, or that the entire quote is yet another invention. How many countless Lincoln narratives are there with Lincoln ending in making some golden reference to 'the majesty of the Lord's handiwork', etc.>

I am not sure what you mean here. I took the quotes from The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln. Are you saying some of the material in that collection is bogus?

Haven't you yourself produced a file (page) of famous quotes of Lincoln but which are fakes generated by others? Or, as I said, examples of flowery invocations of God (by Lincoln) appear to me to be written for Lincoln to recite as a matter of expected form.

You seem to avoid answering questions about earlier comments by coming up with new questionable statements.>

In spite of the occasional light hearted posts, most of us are serious about the study of Abraham Lincoln, and don't go chasing after myths and legends trying to present them as fact,
but rather [i]try to share valid, credible and verifiable information.>

I just documented for you, and you appeared to have noted the same,
that it was William Seward and not Abraham Lincoln who wrote the Thanksgiving Proclamation. That historical fact gives a lot of horsepower to the credibility of the Lincoln "quote" scorning "Seward's nonsense".
Were you unable to google and quickly check whether Salmon Chase indeed wrote the last paragraph of the Emancipation Proclamation? I see
it mentioned on several online sites, including the New York Times,

The Emancipation Proclamation. - NYTimes.comcampaign
Published: April 2, 1864
"We have reason to believe that the following letter from the Cincinnati Gazette, gives a substantially accurate account of the circumstances attending the issue of the Emancipation Proclamation..."

Now, if you feel that Seward did NOT write the Thanksgiving Proclamation, and that Salmon Chase did NOT write the last paragraph of
the Emancipation Proclamation, let me know. On the other hand, if I am presenting some new information to you, please let me know that too.

I'll wonder again:
Did Lincoln include in his original spoken Gettysburg Speech the
phrase "under God"?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - maharba - 12-11-2015 09:35 PM