Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
11-08-2015, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 01:49 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
According to Herndon, Lincoln never read Darwin's Origin book, although through Herndon he had access to it. Herndon wrote "Occasionally he would snatch one up and peruse it for a little while, but he soon threw it down with the suggestion that it was entirely too heavy for an ordinary mind to digest." Lincoln did read a book by Robert Chambers called Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation which Chambers published anonymously. It predated Darwin by about 15 years. Joshua Wolf Shenk used this to argue that Lincoln could have been considered an evolutionist, although William E. Barton argued (as did Chambers later) that there was no discrepancy in Vestiges between evolution and religion.
The Smithsonian published in 2009 an article on Lincoln and Darwin, although it gets the title of Herndon's book wrong.

Almost forgot to mention that in 2010 Southern Illinois University Press published James Lander's Lincoln and Darwin: Shared Visions of Race, Science and Religion. I have it, but haven't read it yet.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Rob Wick - 11-08-2015 01:42 PM