Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
10-20-2015, 05:01 AM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
Welcome to the forum, maharba! I do not have the book, but you are definitely correct - there is a rare book titled Lincoln the comforter: together with a story of Lincoln's first pet, and a narrative by Captain Gilbert J. Greene. I believe it was privately printed with only 200 copies. McClure's Magazine also carried the text.

The text can be read here.

From the Mr. Lincoln and Friends website:

Springfield printer Gilbert J. Greene recalled accompanying Mr. Lincoln in the late 1850s into the country to help a dying woman write her will. Greene remarked on the sympathy and compassion and religious comfort Mr. Lincoln brought the woman - including reading the 23rd Psalm and a portion of the Gospel of John to her. He concluded with a recitation of the words of "Rock of Ages." Greene said that "While Lincoln was reciting the last stanza a look of peace and resignation lit up the countenance of the dying woman. In a few minutes more she passed away." On the somber way back to Springfield, Greene said: "Mr. Lincoln, I have been thinking that is very extraordinary that you should so perfectly have acted as pastor as well as attorney." Mr. Lincoln paused and replied: "God, and Eternity, and Heaven were very near to me to-day."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=us
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - RJNorton - 10-20-2015 05:01 AM