Lincoln and the Thirteenth Amendment
02-11-2016, 01:16 PM
RE: Lincoln and the Thirteenth Amendment
I was reviewing the postings that have been made recently on the question in bold immediately below. The posting was made by Rob Wick on February 9, 2016. I have done a little editing upon the posting.

RE: What Will You Do For Lincoln's Day?

I have to say I'm not as sentimental on the idea of Lincoln Day speeches as some may be.

While doing research several years ago, I came across a reel of microfilm that contained several different Lincoln Day speeches given at various times around the country. Most of them were hagiographical in nature and told very little that a person would find of historical value. Most of them were of the nature "Lincoln was great."

While not necessarily and totally injurious to a real understanding of Lincoln, they were generally trite and full of misinformation that has since seeped into the public mind. Those speeches remind me of the speech that Ronald Reagan gave in 1992 when he gave several bogus lines supposedly uttered by Lincoln but in reality written by the Rev. William John Henry Boetcker.

I obviously don't think honoring Lincoln on his birthday is a bad thing . . . , but I think many of those speeches given in the past did far more harm to Lincoln's memory than forgetting about him ever would.

Best
Rob

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln and the Thirteenth Amendment - David Lockmiller - 02-11-2016 01:16 PM