Any recommendations on a book about William O. Stoddard?
08-25-2012, 10:55 AM
RE: Any recommendations on a book about William O. Stoddard?
A lot of it has to do with the vagaries of the moment, Bill. Someone has to be interested in the subject and find a publisher who thinks there would be enough interest to sustain selling enough books to turn a profit. Most people have some familiarity with Nicolay and Hay, but fewer know Stoddard.

Also, one has to factor in the availability of primary material. In doing a quick search on NUCMC for Stoddard, I didn't come up with anything other than some papers in the Burton Historical Collection in Detroit his son had when he wrote a book about his father. Also, Harold Holzer edited a book that was probably also a family reminisce. However, without Stoddard's personal papers readily available, any kind of full life would be difficult to do.

However, I was serious in my comment that maybe it's something you should take up. Interest in a subject is usually the prime for beginning a research project. If you want to do it, I'll be happy to help you in any way I could. You might not get a book out of it, but an article might be very doable.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any recommendations on a book about William O. Stoddard? - Rob Wick - 08-25-2012 10:55 AM