Speaking of David Rankin Barbee.....
09-23-2015, 08:41 AM
RE: Speaking of David Rankin Barbee.....
(09-22-2015 05:23 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Another page - doesn't show pictures on my mobile view, so I can only assume it's the same picture - of
the same library reads:

Mary E. Surratt
Photograph of a painting of Mary E. Surratt, done by J. A. Holder in 1903. Paper print, mounted. (Swaim Collection, GUL)

This interesting view, drawn from the only known photograph of Mary E. Surratt, shows her seated in teh foreground. Behind her is depicted the H Street boarding house where Booth and his assocaites are known to have called from time to time. This view is one of a series prepared for Finis L. Bates. It was included in his book The Escape and Suicide of John Wilkes Booth (1907).

http://www.library.georgetown.edu/exhibi...ne-mad-act

I found this but I'm not a member of newspapers.com, so if anyone else is they can read the article. I googled Bowles Studio but nothing came up:

Search Results
Hopkinsville Kentuckian from Hopkinsville, Kentucky ยท Page 5
http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/68178016/
Hopkinsville Kentuckian (Hopkinsville, Kentucky), Tuesday, February 12, 1918, ... Holder. Mr. J. A. holder, the artist who painted in the Bowles Studio the life size portraits of Dr. E.S. Stuart and his wife, for the Stuart Hospital, as well as other portraits here, is again ...

I found a Jennie Stuart Memorial Hospital which was founded in 1913.
If this is the same, from the Jennie Stuart Medical Center history page:

"Dr. Stuart was born near Antioch Church. His maternal grandmother, Mary Shanklin, was the midwife at the birth of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy. Dr. Stuart graduated from St. Louis Medical College in 1851 and began his medical practice in the Crofton area. After two years, Dr. Stuart moved his practice to Fairview and continued it there for more than 67 years. He was a Methodist, a Mason and a Democrat. He and Jane "Jennie" Vaughn had two children: May, who died in her 20s, and Willie, who died in infancy. "

On this page there are photographs of the Dr. and his wife but no portraits.

"I desire to thank you, sir, for your testimony on behalf of my murdered father." "Who are you, sonny? " asked I. "My name is Tad Lincoln," was his answer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Speaking of David Rankin Barbee..... - Pamela - 09-23-2015 08:41 AM