General George Crook's impression of Lincoln
08-30-2015, 12:37 PM
RE: General George Crook's impression of Lincoln
(08-30-2015 12:06 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  His description of Lincoln is similar to many others upon meeting him. Often, Lincoln would be prejudged negatively because of how he looked. That was a mistake to do as history tells us.

Regarding the Cooper Union Address a reporter for the New York Tribune wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"He was tall, tall — oh, how tall, and so angular and awkward that I had, for an instant, a feeling of pity for so ungainly a man. His clothes were black and ill-fitting, badly wrinkled — as if they had been jammed carelessly into a small trunk. His bushy head, with the stiff black hair thrown back, was balanced on a long and lean stock, and when he raised his hands in an opening gesture I noticed that they were very large.

He began in a very low tone of voice as if he were used to speaking out of doors and was afraid of speaking too loud. He said, 'Mr. Cheerman" instead of 'Mr. Chairman,' and employed many other words with an old-fashioned pronunciation. I said to myself: "Old fellow, you won't do. It is all very well for the wild west, but this will never go down in New York."

But pretty soon, he began to get into his subject: he straightened up and made regular and graceful gestures. His face lighted as with an inward fire; the whole man was transfigured. I forgot his clothes, his personal appearance, and his individual peculiarities. Presently, forgetting myself, I was on my feet with the rest, yelling like a wild Indian, cheering this wonderful man. In the close [sic] parts of his arguments, you could hear the gentle sizzing of the gas burners. When he reached a climax, the thunders of applause were terrific."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: General George Crook's impression of Lincoln - RJNorton - 08-30-2015 12:37 PM