Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
12-14-2022, 11:15 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
(12-14-2022 05:24 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  [W]hilst [Lincoln] was 150 miles away from S[pringfield] attending court, Shields, followed him up and demanded satisfaction.

The occasion was so silly, that my husband, was always so ashamed of it, that months before our marriage, we mutually agreed – never to speak of it, ourselves – and it gradually passed out of the memories of all

Shields was deadly serious. And, there was not much that ever "passed out of the memory of Abraham Lincoln."

The letter to Alexander Hamilton from Aaron Burr, 22 June 1804, ended as follows: "Thus, Sir, you have invited the course I am about to pursue, and now by your silence impose it upon me. If therefore your determinations are final, of which I am not permitted to doubt, Mr. Van Ness is authorised to communicate my further expectations either to yourself or to such friend as you may be pleased to indicate."

On July 11, 1804, in one of the most famous duels in American history, Vice President Aaron Burr fatally shoots his long-time political antagonist Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton, a leading Federalist and the chief architect of America’s political economy, died the following day.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - David Lockmiller - 12-14-2022 11:15 PM