Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
05-30-2016, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2016 07:14 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
I second Gene's "thank you"!!!

Here are two further articles on the topic:

NYTimes of July 23, 1882:
MRS. LINCOLN IN THE HOSPITALS.
To the Editor of the Chicago Journal :

Chicago, July 18.— The death of the widow of the American emancipator will cause a feelingof sorrow and sadness all over the country, but it will be a cause of particular sorrow to the soldiers of the Army of the Potomac, who, when sick or wounded in the Washington hospitals, were the objects of her especial care and attention. At the first battle of Fredericksburg I received a painful wound in the face; the bullet splintered the jaw and knocked out half a dozen teeth. I was taken to the Armory-Square Hospital, at Washington, and Dr. Bliss, who attended Gen. Garfield, was the man who saved my face from utter disfigurement. Amongst the many who came to the hospital to speak cheering words to the afflicted none were more kind or showed a nobler spirit than the wife of the chief magistrate of the Nation. She called regularly bringing with her, by attendants, flowers and delicacies, and bestowing those with her own hand, with a grace worthy of the station she held. The cycle of time is ended with her. She is at rest with her sorrow, but though dead she still lives in the memory of those whose agonies she soothed with loving words.
Frank G. Thompson

Washington Star of August 29, 1862:
Mrs. Lincoln Among The Sick And Wounded

Among the many ladies who visit our sick soldiers
with cheerful words and offices, none are more indefatigable than Mrs. Lincoln. She, yesterday, visited the Odd Fellows Hall Hospital, Navy Yard, much to the gratification of the sufferers there, and kindly administered to their wants in various ways — bestowing gifts, kind words and, among others, Mrs. Lincoln visited the bedside of one old soldier, over sixty years of age, who had expressed a desire to see her. After some conversation, she bestowed upon the old soldier a handsome donation. Her visit will long be remembered by the invalids.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Eva Elisabeth - 05-30-2016 06:02 PM