Our Favorite Victorian Photographs
08-04-2015, 07:51 PM
RE: Our Favorite Victorian Photographs
How in the world did you know that, Roger?!?

If anyone would like an owl like that, I have a stuffed one in my basement. When my mother (b. 1914) was very young, she used to visit with her mother's elderly friend who owned said owl. The creature ended up being given to Mom, and it always had a place of honor in the center of the top of our huge upright piano (ca. 1890). I think Mom placed it there deliberately to make sure someone/thing was watching to make sure I did my practice sessions.

When Mom came to live with me, Hooty came too - with the understanding that he could roost in the unfinished part of my basement. He's here to this day.

Several years ago, my house was broken into twice in one week. The first time, only one police officer came and cared less about searching the house. The second time, however, I had three officers who were very thorough in going everywhere in the house. When they reached the basement, I heard a slight disturbance. I asked if they had found someone and could I shoot that person. They replied that they had not found anyone, but that they "almost shot that damned owl."

According to my calculations, Hooty is close to 150 years old. The Victorians were very serious about taxidermy and animal/bird collections, and I have seen some exquisite pieces of cabinetry designed just for displaying such things. My daughter and I have an idea of a nature center that we would like to donate Hooty to, but it's just a matter of approaching them about the donation and getting it to them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our Favorite Victorian Photographs - L Verge - 08-04-2015 07:51 PM