1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
12-23-2015, 08:05 PM
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
If Abraham Lincoln was somehow listed in the 1840 federal census of Springfield, Sangamon Illinois, could he be 'hiding in plain sight' for all these past 175 years? There were supposed to have been about 2,600 folks living in Springfield
in 1840. One problem is that even the numbering of pages in the census there is almost useless. But I wonder if I have not found Abraham Lincoln listed there, by name? The page with the first name listed (apparently?) Boles McShand. Then the 18th listing on that page appears to show,

Abraham Lewis or Lemon or Lincon?

He is listed between Odis Wellington and Joseph Williams. Some other names on that 1840 Sangamon census page are: William W. Wells, Dennis Snodgrass, Johnsen Whaley. It was a poor script hand when originally written, and has faded so that you have to use imagination to read most the names. I list some of those other names so that folks can search (from those, and not Abraham Lincoln) to find that census page. In other census and other places, I have seen other Lincoln spelled as Linkon, Lincen, Lencin, etc. I want other researchers to look at this listing and their opinions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell - maharba - 12-23-2015 08:05 PM