1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
12-21-2015, 09:58 PM
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell
Joshua Fry Speed 1814-1882 is listed in 1840 Springfield Sangamon IL as J.F. Speed. Within a few months by Jan 1841, I suppose, he left Springfield and went back to Kentucky. He was born and died in Louisville, Kentucky. I think his father had died about 1840 and that is one reason he returned there. Joshua Speed married in 1842 to Frances Henning. They had no children. What is interesting is that in 1840 Census of Springfield ILL, it lists J.F.Speed as being the sole person in the household. Just him. Much or little could be made out of that enumeration. Did that mean Abraham Lincoln was no longer boarding there? Did the census taker make it out himself and not ask about boarders? Or Lincoln traveling (campaigning for Pres Harrison) and on, etc? I looked at the listing 1840 Springfield for Abner Yates Ellis, listed as A.Y. Ellis. The longer listing makes it clear that Abner was
married and it listed children (not by name in 1840). It does not appear that Abraham Lincoln was boarding with Abner Ellis, either. Even the listing of page numbers, there was very sketchy. It appears that Joshua Speed did not live near Abner Ellis, which I suppose means, when each was at his house, and not a shared business address.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1860 Census and Phillip Dinkell - maharba - 12-21-2015 09:58 PM