New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood
05-31-2015, 05:41 AM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood
(05-30-2015 08:31 PM)Anita Wrote:  Where are the photos of Sophie and her offspring? It appears that many of Lincoln's physical traits including his walk were shared by his cousins. Sophie lived to a ripe old age of 84. I am curious to see if Sophie shared the same lumps on her lips that Lincoln had and which some believe could be a sign of a rare genetic disorder. Also would be interesting to see photos of current descendents of Sophie and her siblings.

That is a very interesting question, Anita. I, too, would love to know if these photos exist. I scanned this image from Dr. John Sotos' The Physical Lincoln. In the book Dr. Sotos argues that Lincoln suffered (and was dying) from a rare genetic cancer syndrome called MEN2B (multiple endocrine neoplasia, type 2B).

Dr. Sotos writes, "The lips, of all places, lead the way, and are often a striking feature of the patient's appearance. Virtually 100% of the people with MEN2B have enlarged, lumpy lips."

[Image: lincolnlips.jpg]

As far as I know there is little support in the medical community for either Dr. Sotos' theory or for Lincoln having Marfan syndrome. Still, I am curious if any Sophie Hanks' photos exist.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - Gene C - 05-26-2015, 01:40 PM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - HerbS - 05-26-2015, 05:14 PM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - Anita - 05-30-2015, 08:31 PM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - RJNorton - 05-31-2015 05:41 AM