New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood
05-26-2015, 03:14 PM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood
In the article it says:

"The usual opinions to the effect that Abraham Lincoln was a sickly child do not find support in the stories handed down by the doctor's mother, who grew up with him. 'He was very firm and straight,' both physically and morally. He 'grew up very early,' and was large for his years. Sophie Hanks evidently was much impressed with Abe's physical ability. 'If they was anyone that was an expert at any kind of athletics,' related the doctor, 'Abe could do it better. I've heerd mother say many time that Abe would stand flat on his feet and lean back till his head would touch the floor. I got so I could stand on a trundle bed and lean back till my head touched the bed, but I was always afraid to try it on the floor for fear I would fall and hurt myself. It was mother telling me about Abe Linkhorn that started me at it. One of my playmates got so he could stand on the flat of his feet and reach backwards and touch the ground."

With regard to his years at New Salem Daniel Green Burner reminisced:

"I have seen Lincoln place a cup of water between his heels, and then folding his arms, bend his tall form backward until he could grip the edge of the cup between his teeth and then straighten himself up, without spilling the water."

I always thought Burner was embellishing - now I am not so sure!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - Gene C - 05-26-2015, 01:40 PM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - RJNorton - 05-26-2015 03:14 PM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - HerbS - 05-26-2015, 05:14 PM
RE: New Light On Lincoln's Boyhood - Anita - 05-30-2015, 08:31 PM