Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
08-22-2012, 07:25 AM
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
I agree with provisions regarding kidnapping - these were more or less of vital importance if the boys had the President in tow....and a plan was more or less in essence to stop at Mudd's and every other stop on the way south.....

However, Lew Powell was NOT going south - and professional soldier that he was, I have to agree with Jim, he did travel light - although I would have made sure to pack TWO hats in case one was lost. He made sure to pack two tooth brushes and two handkerchiefs. Why not another hat? That would have been more crucial. I also don't think that he thought he'd have to resort to his knife - most certainly not. Had his gun not missed fire, he would not have been as blood spattered, if at all, and could more or less have made a "clean" getaway in more ways than one. His probable plan was to perhaps ride back around the city and catch a train to Baltimore if possible. I doubt he thought he could ride the 40 + miles to the Monument City, although he may have thought so.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?! - BettyO - 08-22-2012 07:25 AM