Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2012 02:28 PM by BettyO.)
Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
A relevant question has been brought up by Dan Pearson -

This one has been brought up before, but what and why didn't the "boys" make for better provisions on the night of April 14th?

Did Booth and Herold REALLY think that they could make it down to Ashland, VA on to Richmond without fresh clothing and/or other provisions? Of course they would have Confederate safe houses on the way to tide them over, ala' Mudd, Cox, Jones, etc. Did they think that besides comestibles, they would need fresh clothing, including ammo for guns, etc.

What of Powell? More than likely going towards Baltimore, after he rode a ways, he would need not only food (of which he had none - and no safe houses along the way to provide it), but in losing his hat he would be mighty suspicious. He obviously did NOT carry saddlebags....

My question is -- since neither Booth nor Herold drew attention, they both had hats; with JWB's apparently with his horse outside. What else did Booth pack, if anything?

Powell stuffed his pockets with miscellaneous personal effects - but nothing to draw attention away from him as a lack of a hat would definitely make him suspicious. He was ill prepared for this contingency.

What do ya'll think? How well prepared or ill prepared were these guys?

In my opinion - I don't think they had planned this very well at all!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?! - BettyO - 08-21-2012 02:27 PM