Last eye witness on "I have a secret"
05-27-2015, 02:58 PM
RE: Last eye witness on "I have a secret"
(05-26-2015 08:10 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(05-26-2015 07:20 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 08:37 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  Juan, Here is a rather interesting article on a possible Abraham Lincoln voice graph recording. I find it highly implausible but intriguing nevertheless. http://www.firstsounds.org/features/lincoln.php

Craig

It is unlikely that Lincoln's voice was recorded. But I did find a recording of Edwin Booth reading Othello. It is likely that Booth had his voice recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM82m1MJn_g

I bet that John Wilkes Booth would have loved to have recorded his voice and political thoughts, but he was dead for years before science got to that point, Tom.

"On April 30, 1877, French poet, humorous writer and inventor Charles Cros submitted a sealed envelope containing a letter to the Academy of Sciences in Paris fully explaining his proposed method, called the paleophone. Though no trace of a working paleophone was ever found, Cros is remembered as the earliest inventor of a sound recording and reproduction machine. The first practical sound recording and reproduction device was the mechanical phonograph cylinder, invented by Thomas Edison in 1877 and patented in 1878.[6] The invention soon spread across the globe and over the next two decades the commercial recording, distribution and sale of sound recordings became a growing new international industry, with the most popular titles selling millions of units by the early 1900s. The development of mass-production techniques enabled cylinder recordings to become a major new consumer item in industrial countries and the cylinder was the main consumer format from the late 1880s until around 1910."

Supposedly, some form of recording was made back in 1857, but they had no way of listening to it to see if it really worked. Edwin Booth did not record Othello until 1890.

I was talking about Edwin Booth in this sentence:It is likely that Booth had his voice recorded.

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last eye witness on "I have a secret" - Thomas Kearney - 05-27-2015 02:58 PM
RE: Last eye witness on "I have a secret" - Hess1865 - 05-14-2015, 09:06 AM