At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication
04-27-2015, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2015 07:17 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication
(04-27-2015 02:08 PM)Juan Marrero Wrote:  I find it interesting that late in her widowhood she travelled to Florida for a "cure", traversing the Deep South by herself. Even if travelling under an assumed name, she manifested a lack of resentment towards the South and, also physical and moral courage.
As for the courage - she had always loved traveling and was fearless in this regard. Even in Frankfurt she wasn't frightened by the Franco-Prussian war and reluctant to leave.

She travled to Florida for the climate, to escape the cold, depressing winter that worsened her ailments (a desire which I can understand more than well) - and where else could she have gone for this purpose? To me, Florida has certainly great potential to be a "curable" place, and Mary obviously felt the same when she wrote to Myra Bradwell from St. Augustine on Feb. 20, 1875:
"...I have so often wished we could be together in this "Sunny clime". I am now looking down upon a yard with its roses, white lilacs and other flowers...On the 11th of Feb. we started for this place. If...the most charming scenery on the celebrated Ochlawahs river could give pleasure, then it was certainly mine. Words would fail in description going from the broad St. John's into the narrow streams. With scenery such as is seldom met with in this world..." [Agreed!]
I do not think it came to Mary's mind to blame the climate and landscape for being a one-time Confederate state...

Also as for her lack of resentment towards the South, she was well in line with her husband who didn't consider the southern citizens enemies, just resented "some rebels", and considered "Dixie" Union property with the end of the war. So - why should Mary not have seen Florida the same way?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication - Eva Elisabeth - 04-27-2015 07:10 PM