At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication
04-21-2015, 08:15 PM
RE: At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication
(04-20-2015 09:52 AM)Juan Marrero Wrote:  Would it be possible to say, however, that she was at least consoled by the notion that, despite the tragedies, the Lincoln story was one of the great triumphs of the human spirit?
Or, historically, was it too soon for the country to have gained such a perspective. I've read that during her lifetime, it was Grant, not Lincoln, who was the preeminent hero of the Civil War and that Lincoln became a secular demi-god around the time of the 1909 centennial.
As usual, I 100% agree with Toia on this topic, and couldn't have worded it better!

Am I understanding your first question correctly as asking for Mary's feelings (not the nation's perspective)?

I think the faith in her husband's love is what she took the greatest comfort in, and this might have been partly linked to his achievements respectively her personal belief in his greatness, independently of what contemporaries thought as she had already believed in his greatness when she maried him. I wonder what would have happened had he not succeeded - but I consider it likely she would have blamed the rest of the world for that rather than him.

In 1869 she wrote: “He was . . . from my eighteenth year — Always — lover — husband — father & all all to me — Truly my all,” and AFAIK she didn't at any minute doubt Herndon was utterly wrong with his "Rutledge claims" (while quite some other wives in similar situations might have entertained suspicions à la "no smoke without a fire".).

Regarding the country's perspective, I recall e.g. someone (Stoddart I believe but am not 100% sure) once raved about Mary's hospital visits and caring for the wounded soldiers which took place quietly and without publicity, and deeply regretted the complaints of the ignorant press that Mary cared too little about the war and its victims.

As for Grant, more of the eyewitnesses who attended Ford's Theater on April 14 came to see Grant rather than the President. Also Mary was outraged when during the April 13 Illumination, the crowds at times cheered more for the General than for her husband (at other times v.v.). There's no record how Mary thought about not being invited nor mentioned when the Grants visited and were received in Pau.

When Mary at City Point said to Julia Grant "I suppose you think you'll get to the White House yourself, don't you?" - was she wrong? I'm not so well-read on the Grants but have always had the impression Julia Grant was similarly ambitious about her husband. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: At the end, did MTL have a sense of vindication - Eva Elisabeth - 04-21-2015 08:15 PM