Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-29-2015, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 01:53 PM by Gene C.)
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
I disagree with you somewhat Kees, regarding Mrs. Surratt. Did she get a fair trial? By today's standards no. But under the circumstances and events of the Lincoln assassination, she probably got as fair a trial as was possible at the time. When you successfully plot to kill the president following a brutal civil war, you kind of forfeit your rights to a certain extent. Remember that Weichman's life was also threatened by those with strong southern connections and sympathetic to Mrs Surratt. They were probably worried about how much he did know. There was not a witness protection program for him. From what I have read of his testimony, he actually liked Mrs. Surratt, but became convinced and appalled at her involvement with Booth and her son's activities. John Surratt by his actions may have been more responsable for her conviction and death than anything Weichman or Lloyd said. Lets not forget her actions the day of the assassination. I could go on and on, but Eva's suggestion about recommending Kate Larson's book to read is better.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Gene C - 04-29-2015 10:09 AM