Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-27-2015, 03:30 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
(04-26-2015 07:34 PM)L Verge Wrote:  John - I forgot to say that I read the chapter on Mary Surratt today. I could have written it myself! I still disagree with your assessment of Booth and John, Jr., but I concur on your judgment of Mary. I still think the three were in it for love of what they thought their country had been and should continue to be. Lincoln was a Republican; they were republicans.

P.S. Don't let her ghost hear me say that. I have enough problems with real people without getting her ghost mad at me!

Laurie:

Thank you. I have already said that apart from Booth and John Surratt, I have sympathy for all of them. They were all victimized by their circumstances. I like to quote the Spanish philosopher, whose name is something like Jose Ortega y Gasset, who famously said: "I am I and my circumstances." Booth and John Surratt, however, were not victims, in my judgment; they were the victimizers. They were in control of their circumstances, and they used that control to destroy other people's lives. Arnold was right: Booth was their executioner. Fortunately, he survived, to return to his still-living mother and father and his beloved Dash, who waited for him.

John
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - John Fazio - 04-27-2015 03:30 AM