Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-25-2015, 04:12 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
I realize that I am not much of an historian, but I think that Kees hit the nail on the head when it comes to what history is. I like to see history as three things: What really happened to our best knowledge or what Leopold von Ranke described as history as it really happened, i.e., Geschicte wie es eigenlich gewesen ist (always changing hence the arguments among historians and buffs each generation, generally known as historiography), What fiction writers use as a pattern for their popular works (which I like to call historicals), and What other writers use as a pattern for they really do not know but suspect happened (which I like to call historical fiction). I see my writing on Booth as the latter, much to the disgust and/or disbelief of many.

And, deep in my heart, I still believe that Edwin Stanton and the Radical Republicans were behind Lincoln's assassination, despite my public writings and assertions in favor of Tidwell, Hall, and Gaddy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Wild Bill - 04-25-2015 04:12 PM