Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-22-2015, 05:36 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
(04-16-2015 05:09 PM)loetar44 Wrote:  The simplest explanation is in my opinion (as I suggested in my earlier post) that Charles Forbes was NOT there. He was NOT important in protecting Lincoln. However, he was MADE important AFTER the assassination, by “assuming” that he was seated in the Dress Circle opposite the outer door of Lincoln’s box.

Kees, I came upon a couple of accounts that may (or may not) involve Forbes. The first one comes from the Surratt Society booklet entitled From War Department Files - Statements Made by the Alleged Lincoln Conspirators Under Examination - 1865.

On. p. 21 John Bingham is questioning David Herold aboard the Montauk on April 27th, and Herold states, "He (Booth) then told me he had murdered the President. He said he walked in the back part of the box with a small Derringer pistol. There was a soldier or officer trying to prevent him from going into the box & the thought struck from to draw a letter from his pocket & show it to the man, which he did. The man let him pass."

I cannot say for sure if the "soldier or officer" were Forbes, but it would seem that it might have been and that Forbes initially denied Booth entry until this letter (whatever it was) was produced.

The second statement comes from Dr. Leale's 1909 address. Leale said, "The play was resumed and my attention was concentrated on the stage until I heard a disturbance at the door of the President's box. With many others I looked in that direction, and saw a man endeavoring to persuade the reluctant usher to admit him. At last he succeeded in gaining an entrance, after which the door was closed and the usher resumed his place."

I do not know for certain, but could the usher have been Forbes? If so, both Herold's and Leale's accounts seem to indicate Forbes may at first have been reluctant to allow Booth to pass. Leale even goes so far as to call it "a disturbance."

Obviously I do not know if the "soldier or officer" in the one story is Forbes or "the usher" in the second account is Forbes, but it seems possible to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - RJNorton - 04-22-2015 05:36 AM