Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-16-2015, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2015 05:14 PM by loetar44.)
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
There is something odd in the Charles Forbes story. If he gave Booth access to Lincoln’s box he certainly was one of the most important witnesses of the murder. It bothers me that there is no recorded interrogation, that he was never questioned, that there is no written testimony and that he was never interviewed in an official capacity. How is that possible?

The simplest explanation is in my opinion (as I suggested in my earlier post) that Charles Forbes was NOT there. He was NOT important in protecting Lincoln. However, he was MADE important AFTER the assassination, by “assuming” that he was seated in the Dress Circle opposite the outer door of Lincoln’s box. Forbes’ claim in September 1892, saying “[I] accompanied him [Lincoln] in the carriage, was with him from the carriage to the box in the theatre, and was in the box when the assassin fired his fatal shot” isn't supported by any contemporary evidence that I know of. Maybe Forbes was there and maybe he was in the box, but that was in my opinion (shortly ?) AFTER the assassination. If Forbes did have a role in protecting the President, why was he never charged? Why Forbes became, after Lincoln's death, a messenger for the Treasury Department and later for the Adjuntant General's office?

There are no biographies of Forbes and he seldom appears as more than a footnote in published works on the assassination. I have books in which his name is not even being listed in the book's index. What I know is that Charles Forbes started working at the White House shortly after Lincoln's first inauguration. He began as one of several house servants and became a favorite with Lincoln, and Mary. He often accompanied Lincoln on trips outside the White House and also ran errands for Mary and drove her around Washington. He also looked often after Willie and Tad. As far as I know Lincoln never considered him as a “close friend”, or a “friend of the family”. Forbes described himself as Lincoln's "body servant", but others called him the President’s valet, messenger, attendant, footman,…. But he was NEVER seen as a bodyguard.

As I see it, it was only John Parker who stood guard over the box, he alone, nobody else. We know, he left his post, apparently to go outside for a drink, although he later told William Crook he went to find a seat “so that he could see the play”. It was Parker who left Lincoln unprotected…. Forbes is nothing to blame.

Who was Parker? He was a low-life member of the Metropolitain Police Force with many reprimandes on his record, cited for unbecoming conduct, insubordination, loafing and drunkenness while on duty. It was Mary Lincoln who was in the first place responsible for assigning Parker to the White House detail. Parker was up for army draft and wanted to avoid it. Mary wrote letters on April 3 and April 4, 1865 (shortly after her return from City Point on April 2) sponsoring Parker’s transfer to the White House guard.

The fact that Parker’s absence was never adequately explained, has in my opinion to do with Mary Lincoln and Stanton. When Mary’s sponsorship of Parker came to light, Stanton did not want to make this public, because he had not withhold Parker’s assignment. So, in my view it were Mary’s actions, Stanton’s inaction and Parker’s incompetence that made it incredibly easy for Booth (or anyone) to enter the box and kill Lincoln. Parker was charged with neglect (tried and acquitted).

And last but not least, what is true of the story I read (Michael Kauffman ?) that it was Mary who ended up blaming Forbes for her husband's death. As far as I know (correct me if I’m wrong) she never did.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - loetar44 - 04-16-2015 05:09 PM