Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
04-09-2015, 05:25 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box?
(04-08-2015 09:41 PM)Thomas Thorne Wrote:  Am I wrong about the lack of accusations against Forbes?

Tom, I think you are right. Although Crook is not considered a reliable source he puts the blame squarely on Parker in Through Five Administrations. Also, in her book, Elizabeth Keckly says that Mary Lincoln put the blame solely on Parker. No mention of Forbes being neglectful of his duties whatsoever in either book. Offhand I cannot think of any books I've read which either blame Forbes or include him as part of a larger conspiracy. (Even Robert Lockwood Mills, who is suspicious of most everything in It Didn't Happen the Way You Think, does not "indict" Forbes, if my memory is correct.) Forbes was not called at the trial. He gave no recorded statement at the time. A mystery! He seems to get a pass. Apparently he was silent for 27 years until his 1892 affidavit which is full of lies and embellishments.

(04-08-2015 10:18 PM)Jenny Wrote:  Forbes has always been a mystery to me since you would think that his statements would be FAR better recorded in the investigation.

I sure agree with you, Jenny.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-01-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - Rhatkinson - 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: Why was Booth admitted into the presidential box? - RJNorton - 04-09-2015 05:25 AM