Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-27-2015, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 02:46 AM by Thomas Thorne.)
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
Did Weichmann lie to protect Mary at the trial or did he lie to ruin her reputation posthumously? I'm inclined to believe the former. If he desired to maximize the harm he could do her, it was best to do it while she was alive. He could not be certain of her fate.

In reading the M599 compilation,the biggest disappointment for me was how little we are told of the internal deliberations of the government as to what persons should be brought to trial. There is an interesting statement by one of the officers who was involved in the early stages of the investigation but left after the 8 conspirators were captured. He recommended vigorous investigation of Anna Surratt.

Now everything I have learned about Anna tells me if I were involved in a furtive conspiracy,she would be the last person I would recruit. Yet I wonder being in such enduring and close proximity to the family's activities at the tavern and boarding house, how much she knew.

There is a persistent story that Weichmann was quite smitten with Anna,a feeling she did not reciprocate. We know she let slip out her knowledge of JWB's early afternoon visit of 4/14/65 to the boarding house. Was Weichmann trying to protect her as well? It would seem mad for Weichmann to think Anna would be grateful for limiting the damage he did to her and her kin at the trial, but he would hardly be the first human being to miscalculate affairs of the heart.
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - Thomas Thorne - 02-27-2015 10:57 PM