Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-24-2015, 09:00 AM
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
(02-24-2015 12:51 AM)Pamela Wrote:  I think Weichmann vented many details that didn't come out in the trial because he wasn't asked...

I think I have mentioned this before, but I want to ask again to see if anyone has an opinion. This regards another incident that Weichmann did not include in his trial testimony but came out later.

The incident happened during the afternoon of the assassination. Weichmann and Mary were in the buggy on the way to Surrattsville when they saw some soldiers along the roadside. Mary stopped the buggy (or asked Weichmann to do so) and asked an old farmer why the soldiers were there. She was told that they were pickets. Mary then asked if they remained on guard all night. The farmer said that they were generally called in at about 8 in the evening. Mary replied, "I am glad to know that." Weichmann and Mary then continued on.

In his book Weichmann writes, "I am very positive in regard to this affair, for it has made a lasting impression on my mind, one which will never be effaced."

If Weichmann were telling the truth, was this just innocent conversation/curiosity on Mary's part? Or was she checking to determine if the road to Surrattsville would be clear later that night? Are there other possible reasons?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - RJNorton - 02-24-2015 09:00 AM