Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
(02-23-2015 10:42 AM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  
(02-23-2015 10:25 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  At John Surratt's trial, Olivia Jenkins claimed that the visitor to the boardinghouse was a man who brought her some papers.

I'll have to go back and read Ms. Jenkins testimony from the Surratt trial to give myself a little context. I do find it strange that someone would be delivering papers to a woman/girl (who I believe was unmarried and about 15 years old) after 9:00 pm. That just doesn't seem to match up with what my idea of the social standards of the time would allow. I am by no means an expert on the social standards of the mid 19th century however.

She was about 19 (and unmarried). She testified that the man called during supper, that Anna Surratt answered the door, and that the man (a Captain Scott of the navy) left some papers for her. As the man didn't see her alone (and indeed doesn't seem to have seen her at all, but just dropped by with the papers), I don't think there would be any impropriety.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - Susan Higginbotham - 02-23-2015 10:58 AM