The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth
01-11-2016, 09:24 AM
RE: The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth
(01-11-2016 07:38 AM)maharba Wrote:  Boston Corbett believed that John Wilkes Booth was alive and would eventually confront and kill him. Corbett slept with a loaded pistol under his pillow. He received letters addressed to him by John Wilkes Booth, and after 1865. Would Corbett have stood any chance at all in a gunfight, face on, against John Wilkes Booth? Apparently, Corbett didn't think so. And so, Corbett ran. When he fled from Neodesha KS on June 1 1888, did Corbett escape to (or near) Pine County, Minnesota? Was John St.Helen laughing as he'd read the newspaper reports, I wonder.

At the conspiracy trial Boston Corbett testified as follows regarding Booth:

"Finding the fire gaining upon him, he turned to the other side of the barn, and got toward where the door was, and as he got there I saw him make a movement toward the door. I supposed he was going to fight his way out. One of the men, who was watching him, told me that he aimed the carbine at me. He was taking aim with the carbine, but at whom I could not say. My mind was upon him attentively to see that he did no harm, and when I became impressed that it was time I shot him. I took steady aim on my arm, and shot him through a large crack in the barn."

Do you feel Corbett was guilty of perjury?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth - Gene C - 01-31-2015, 12:30 PM
RE: The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth - RJNorton - 01-11-2016 09:24 AM