What is the latest on the Booth DNA Project?
08-13-2013, 08:14 PM
RE: What is the latest on the Booth DNA Project?
I am probably going to regret bringing this topic up again, but has anyone gotten any further word about Orlowek's and Hulme's attempts to gather DNA from Edwin Booth? I just read the following on a news report regarding failed DNA tests from a murder that happened in 1959:

"Testing decades-old DNA can be difficult, said Dr. Michael Baird, the laboratory director of the DNA Diagnostics Center in Ohio.

"He said genetic evidence can degrade over time. How much DNA was retrieved from samples, how it was stored and the conditions it was exposed to all play a role in whether a full DNA profile can be collected.

"He said testing a partial DNA profile would be like looking at a fingerprint that didn't have all the swirls.

"The ability to make a match with an individual would be compromised," Baird said. "It's not uncommon for this to happen with a sample that old."

My point is: If the DNA has degraded in 54 years, what has both Booths' done in over a century? This pretty much is in agreement with what Dr. Houmes posted back in April.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the latest on the Booth DNA Project? - L Verge - 08-13-2013 08:14 PM