April 19, 1865 funeral procession
12-09-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 06:47 AM by loetar44.)
RE: April 19, 1865 funeral procession
(12-08-2014 08:40 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Scott and Kees mentioned 42 different engines - that meant 3,5 different each day. Why??? Reasons for changing engines I could think of are entering a different company's "territory" (but were there so many different companies?), and/or different gauge (which would also require to change the cars). Were there so many different engines also used for the inaugural journey? Thanks for any hint!

Eva, 42 engines makes sense, considering that the train moved from one railroad company's jurisdiction to the next through 8 states and a lot of counties. I’m sure it’s recorded somewhere; the trick is finding it! There were ca. 20 engines that pulled the funeral train and ca. 20 engines used as pilot. And there were engines that pulled extra train(s) of mourners to Springfield. I will give it a try to compose a list, only because I’m curious. Don’t know I will succeed.... I’ve a lot other things to do today, so give me some time .... Maybe someone else already has such a list. Please help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: April 19, 1865 funeral procession - loetar44 - 12-09-2014 06:46 AM