Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
05-05-2015, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 07:58 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
(05-05-2015 06:34 PM)Anita Wrote:  Robert was very clear that he wanted the Lincoln family buried together in Springfield.
When he asked for these arrangements to be made he wrote on the very day to a friend that "if what I wish is not entirely satisfactory to any member [of the National Lincoln Monument Association in charge of the tomb], I would not press it for a moment but would build my own family tomb somewhere".
This makes me feel that if it wasn't entirely satisfactory to his wife, he wouldn't have pressed her either. As I said, sometimes one doesn't really realize or dare to realize such unless the very situation realizes and the decision has to be finally sealed or agreed to. Maybe Mary Harlan at the very moment of Robert's realized her dissatisafaction (for whatever reason). I tend to believe Robert would have forgiven his wife (as his father would have), so why don't we?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore? - Eva Elisabeth - 05-05-2015 07:46 PM