Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
05-03-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
I tend to agree with Toia on this one. I know very little about Mary Harlan, but I do remember reading that she would run home to her parents when things got tough. I think that I have also read that Mary Lincoln loved her and was generous with her. It doesn't seem to me that Mary Harlan had issues with being buried near her mother-in-law; the "place in the sun" comment appears to have stemmed from her jealousy of Abraham's legacy that left Robert standing in the shade.

A similar situation occurred in my own family. Great-grandfather Huntt (that you've heard me talk about ad nauseum) had one son and three daughters (all of whom married). The son went on to be a medical doctor and married into a well-to-do family. Even though the whole family got along well, when the time came to bury Uncle Joe, Aunt Naomi took him to a prestigious cemetery in D.C. - Rock Creek The family's private cemetery that had been established in 1858 wasn't good enough.

It happened again in the next generation, when Mr. Huntt's last daughter (my grandmother) had only a son and daughter to survive to adulthood. The son's wife did not feel that the family cemetery was up to her standards (I see that it is well-maintained to this day!), so she had him buried in her church's graveyard in her family's plot. Then, she refused to put a tombstone at his grave, so his name was shown nowhere until she died twenty years later. And yet, she claimed to have loved him.

Having never been to the Lincoln Tomb, I have one question - how close to their parents are Eddie, Willie, and Tad buried? At their sides?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore? - L Verge - 05-03-2015 10:41 AM