Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
12-24-2014, 01:25 PM
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
I agree with Toia; I don't think I've ever seen anything Mary said or wrote regarding a negative feeling toward the Hankses.

However, Harriet Hanks, who lived with the Lincoln family for a brief period c.1845, seems not to have been a big fan of Mary (or perhaps was writing what she thought Herndon would like to read?). Harriet was a daughter of Dennis Hanks and married Augustus H. Chapman. She wrote several letters to Herndon. In one of them she wrote:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Charleston Ills Nov the 21st 66

Sir

Your favor of the 15th Came duly to hand. I will now endeavor to answer the Same. Enny information that I Can give you in regard to the loved and lamented Lincoln will be freely given, but would rather Say nothing about his Wife, as I Could Say but little in her favor I Conclude it best to Say nothing. and I persume it is not really nesessary that I Should. You ask me how Mr Lincoln acted at home. I Can Say and that truly he was all that a Husband Father and Neighbor Should be. Kind and affectionate to his wife and Child. Bob being the (only one they had when I was with them), and vary pleasent to all around him never did I hear him utter an un kind word to enny one. for instance one day he undertook to correct his Child and his wife was determined that he Should not. and attempted to take it from him but in this She failed She then tried tongue lashing but met with the Same fate, for Mr Lincoln corrected his Child as a Father ought to do, in the face of his Wifes anger and that too without even Changing his Countenance, or making enny reply to his wife. His favorite way of reading when at home was lying down on the floor I fancy I See him now lying full length in the Hall of his old home reading When not engaged in reading law Books he would read literarry works, and was vary fond of reading Poetry and often when he would be or appeard to be in a deep Study — Commence and repeat aloud Some piece that he had taken a fancy to and Commited to Memory Such as the one you have already in print. and the burrial of Sir Tom Moore, and So on. he often told laughable Jokes and Strories when he thought we was looking gloomy. Your Lecture has been received and Carefully read I found it vary interesting. please accept my thanks for the Same. Will write you again when I return from a visit to Grand Ma Lincoln
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore? - RJNorton - 12-24-2014 01:25 PM