Hands Off Slavery in The Border States
03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
RE: Hands Off Slavery in The Border States
Tom - I have to agree with Bill on David's research on the KGC. He spent a great deal of time at our James O. Hall Research Center, and I had the opportunity to sneak peeks at some of his writings. He has done a very good job of tracking down a group that most historians give very little credit to having even existed. Read the book, and I think you will agree.

I also recommend a study of the Barbee Papers at Georgetown's Lauinger Library. While Mr James O. Hall did not agree with some of Barbee's conclusions, he was very impressed with his manuscript and felt that it should be published. In the 1970s or 80s, he approached Barbee's daughter about publishing her father's work. She was not interested. I believe that his heirs have let the copyright go unrenewed. I once asked the collections manager at the library what the chances were of getting it published - very little at that time due to funding. I don't think Georgetown has its own university press, but I bet an institution that had one would be interested if it were part of their collection.

Rich, I don't believe that Martin's body was retrieved. I would also like someone to do some genealogy and tie Patrick Martin to the Martin clan that was prevalent in Southern Maryland during most of the 19th century. Nothing makes better links for espionage service than family. I'm even more interested in the Martins because they married into my Huntt family.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hands Off Slavery in The Border States - L Verge - 03-20-2013 07:02 PM