Hands Off Slavery in The Border States
03-20-2013, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 10:35 AM by Bill Richter.)
RE: Hands Off Slavery in The Border States
It is in the Rankin Mss, Lincoln and Booth under the chapter The Maryland Planters Hand Over a Conspiracy

FYI, everyone, I do not know who holds the copyright on Barbee's Lincoln and Booth, and some of the research is outdated or controversial, but I often thought that it ought to be edited and brought out as a book. Georgetown, btw, is very nice in working with scholars. Look up the Rankin papers on line and get an idea of what you want, write them, make an appointment, and they will have everything ready when you show up. The staff on all levels was very friendly and helpful. The book mss is in several boxes alone, so it is a big project.

One more thing, I am currently reading David Keehn's book on the Knights of the Golden Circle just out from LSU Press. It is an excellent volume, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to lean about the KGC, an organization the has as members Booth, Arnold and the O'Laughlen brothers and was instrumental in promoting secession all over the South and Old Northwest. It rates right along Charles B. Dew's earlier Apostles of Secession, as A-1.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hands Off Slavery in The Border States - Bill Richter - 03-20-2013 10:05 AM