Was John Surratt engaged to Miss Roose?
02-19-2016, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 10:15 AM by Susan Higginbotham.)
RE: Was John Surratt engaged to Miss Roose?
(02-19-2016 06:03 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(02-19-2016 01:10 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  I wonder if the young lady was actually Annie Ward, although I doubt she and John were involved.

Is it known why John Surratt sent letters to his mother through Annie Ward? Did he also send letters to Annie herself? Are the contents of John Surratt's letters to Annie known?

Personally, I find the Annie Ward-John Surratt relationship to be intriguing.

Annie Ward testified that she received four letters from John, two for herself and two for Mary. Weichmann recalled the contents of one of the letters from John to Mary--he admired the city of Montreal, mentioned that he had bought a French pea jacket, and complained about the high cost of lodging.

I did a blog post about her last month:

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/po...tt-family/

(02-19-2016 05:18 AM)Jim Woodall Wrote:  Susan,

That is an interesting article. If Anne Mitchell is not an alias, I wonder if she was already familiar to the family.

The Jenkins' line and the Mitchells line were intertwined a few different times along the years prior including likely an aunt of Zadock, Rachel Lanham, marrying Ignatius Mitchell about 1738. Also, my 6th great grandfather, Francis Jenkins, married Anne Mitchell (sister to Ignatius) abt 1741 [am not fully convinced of this, others have her as Anne Bennett]. It may be that another sister also married a Jenkins [I have not looked fully at that yet].

Also, my 4th great grandmother, Sarah Ann Jenkins, married as a second marriage, a Richard Mitchell on Valentines Day in 1822. The Mitchell daughter, Martha, did have Ann as a middle name. However, she would have been too old, most likely, for John Surratt. Anyways, my third great grandmother, Martha Ann Mitchell, was already married to Thomas Anderson in 1852. None of the Mitchell grandkids would have been old enough.

There are quite a bit of Mitchells back then. There is an 18 y.o. Annie Mitchell in the 1860 census living in Ward 4 of DC in a boarding house. She is listed as born in DC and her occupation is folding documents (assume government printing office??). Depending on what kind of documents she is folding, she might be an interesting individual to get to know. I do not show her being married in DC up through 1870. She may have died without marrying and looks to be buried at Congressional Cemetery as Annie D. Mitchell. It looks like her brother was John H Mitchell.

That's intriguing!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was John Surratt engaged to Miss Roose? - Susan Higginbotham - 02-19-2016 10:13 AM