Was John Surratt engaged to Miss Roose?
02-18-2016, 06:44 AM
RE: Was John Surratt engaged to Miss Roose?
While I was looking through the censuses regarding the Tonrys (Ann Surratt and William Tonry), I found Anna and William living in a boarding house in Baltimore in 1870.

Living there as well is a Sallie Roose age 24 (as transcribed by ancestry.com). I would have expected her to be closer to 28 but the 4 is not well-formed but likely a 4. Sallie would be a common nickname for Sarah. She is listed as a school teacher. She had attended, previously, the State Normal School as indicated by their catalog. In the 1867 listing of students, she is shown as student/teaching in Howard County. In 1868, she is shown in Baltimore City. In 1869, she is still listed in Baltimore City. Again, in 1870, she is listed in Baltimore City. Also, 1873, 1874 (Baltimore County), 1881 (Baltimore City).

Some confusion may be from the way the previously mentioned Obit of William S Roose was written. If there was an engagement to John Surratt, perhaps it was after the assassination and before he married Mary Victorine Hunter. The way the Obit was written seemed to imply an engagement prior to the assassination and the assassination was the reason Sallie entered the convent. Perhaps the timing/causes of actions are off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was John Surratt engaged to Miss Roose? - Jim Woodall - 02-18-2016 06:44 AM