Oddities of the Lincoln assassination
11-28-2014, 06:29 PM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination
(11-26-2014 11:59 PM)SSlater Wrote:  I just remembered a really amazing oddity.
ALONZO DAVIS, son of Capt. SAMUEL BOYER DAVIS -a confederate spy who was convicted of spying, but whose life was spared by ABRAHAM LINCOLN, married CAROLINE CALVERT STUART the daughter of DR. RICHARD H. STUART who was a confederate agent who assisted JOHN WILKES BOOTH escape through king George County, after he killed ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Bad information ! New results
Sometimes we work diligently to research a subject and we readily accept what we find - as fact, because we can prove our find with a Cite. But then we read how we used these facts, and we suspect that something was wrong. I knew the birthdates of the people mentioned above, but I didn't use them. WRONG! Then I could not accept that this man married a wife 30 years his senior, especially when I know it is often the opposite. Back to the books. I need to reapprove the story.

Dr. Stuart had a daughter Caroline Calvert Stuart born 1844. He also had a daughter Rosalie E. Stuart that married Sholto (or Sholito) T. Stuart and they had a daughter Caroline Calvert Stuart ("Carrie") born 1873 in King George. She was the one who married Alonzo B. Davis. (Born 1871, Wilmington, Del.)

All that I said in "The Oddity" was correct except - it was Dr. Stuart's Granddaughter that married Alonzo.

I am embarrassed, mea maxima culpa.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Rhatkinson - 11-09-2014, 03:14 PM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Rhatkinson - 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - SSlater - 11-28-2014 06:29 PM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Hess1865 - 11-28-2014, 10:06 AM