Oddities of the Lincoln assassination
11-17-2014, 09:34 AM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination
Hi Craig and thanks! I have the following information in my files, but I don't remember where I found it.

"George Kulzer (1831-1912), a pioneer of Stearns County, Minnesota, told the following story about St. Joseph, MN: "That was an eventful year, 1865. In April, an odd thing happened in St. Joseph. Early in the morning on Wednesday, the 14th, people were horror-stricken to hear that President Lincoln had been assassinated. No one knew how the news had arrived, since we had no telegraph. Later we heard that Mr. Lincoln had indeed been assassinated, but not until late in the evening of that day. No one remembered how the news had started. Weeks later, some of the Eastern papers heard of it and tried to infer that the priest of St. Joseph knew of a Catholic plot against the government and had spread the news prematurely. This was, of course, ridiculous. Father Bruno was indignant, but some people wanted to believe it, and many years later it would still be whispered." Mr. Kulzer was wrong on the day of the week, as the 14th was a Friday.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Rhatkinson - 11-09-2014, 03:14 PM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Rhatkinson - 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - RJNorton - 11-17-2014 09:34 AM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Hess1865 - 11-28-2014, 10:06 AM