Robert Lincoln and the military
11-05-2014, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 05:19 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Robert Lincoln and the military
(11-04-2014 04:33 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  I found an article titled "Edwin Booth Saved Robert Todd Lincoln's Life" in The Lincoln Children: Robert Todd Lincoln from the Lincoln Financial Foundation's collection. The article was originally published in the April 2005 Civil War Times. It states that Robert returned with Grant on April 13. The author of the article is Jason Emerson.

https://archive.org/stream/lincolnchildr...t+april+13

http://www.historynet.com/edwin-booth
Linda, thanks, this is an interesting find! At this time (as the bio was published later), Mr. Emerson stated exactly what Kees believes,too:
"He [Robert]stayed with Grant until the end of the war,accompanying him to Washington on April 13, 1865."

Now I wonder why the author changed his mind later to the 14 - or was this a typo? As (Kees argumentation in post #5 does make sense to me.) Also how did he "get at" the dates in both, article and book? I don't have "Giant in the Shadows", and wonder what source is given to note #49 (chapter six, p.98), online it's a bit difficult (and bit-consuming) to "load through" all the pages...

(11-04-2014 10:33 AM)loetar44 Wrote:  Back to Jason Emerson's book. He wrote “In fact, the young captain [= Robert Lincoln] left with General Grant and cortege the next morning [the morning after Lee’s surrender] for the four-day journey to Washington.” It took indeed 4 days for Grant (and Robert) to reach Washington, however not from City Point, but from Appomattox Court House, and 9 + 4 = 13 April (and not 14).
Kees, "the next morning [after Lee's surrender]" was April 10, and "left...the next morning" seems to refer to leaving Appomattox, thus (10+4=14) Mr. Emerson's calculation seems accurate within itself, but, I agree, incongruent with Grant's memoirs! (I assume that's what you meant at all.) However, it would be great if Mr. Emerson (who's a member) could kindly shed some light on this....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Robert Lincoln and the military - loetar44 - 11-02-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: Robert Lincoln and the military - Eva Elisabeth - 11-05-2014 05:17 AM