The "milk-sick" came to the Lincoln family
09-23-2013, 01:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2013 11:26 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: The "milk-sick" came to the Lincoln family
Thanks, Mr. Steers!
Laurie, I'm sorry, I really felt (and feel) uncomfortable with my last post, I wouldn't have told this if I hadn't felt misunderstood. And if I had known Mr. Steers' reputation before I anyway wouldn't have dared to add my humble opinion on this topic. As for the amazement - I think I've (unintentionally) played almost all my cards now... Now I hope I don't misunderstand your last question mark.

May I add that affected sucking cattle obviously eleminates a great deal of the toxine via the milk. Thus a) the suckling animal is often less severely affected and the latency period is longer than for humans, and b) the milk is extremely poisonous since it contains the tremetol in a high concentration (compared to the plant).
BTW, horses already die within 1- 3 days after eating the sufficient amount of the plant. I think it's because they can't vomit nor are they ruminants to anyhow get rid of the toxine, and they have a small stomach relative to their body size, so that the food is passed on quickly. And the severe stage usually begins once the stomach is passed.

Finally - it doesn't harm to know what the plant that probably did not kill Nancy Hanks (Ageratina altissima, formerly Eupatorium rugosum) looks like:

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "milk-sick" came to the Lincoln family - Eva Elisabeth - 09-23-2013 01:23 PM