Grant and Lincoln's invitation
10-09-2014, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 03:42 PM by loetar44.)
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation
General Horace Porter described in “Campaigning with Grant” (1897) how John Wilkes Booth observed Julia Grant in the dining room of the Willard Hotel, how Booth shadowed Grant , how an assassin (???) was foiled by the locked door of Grant’s railcar, how Grant received the message of the assassination of Lincoln and how Grant’s journey was interrupted :

///////////

The President and Mrs. Lincoln invited the general and Mrs. Grant to go to Ford's Theater and occupy a box with them to see “Our American Cousin.” The general said he would be very sorry to have to decline, but that Mrs. Grant and he had made arrangements to go to Burlington, New Jersey, to see their children, and he feared it would be a great disappointment to his wife to delay the trip. The President remarked that the people would be so delighted to see the general that he ought to stay and attend the play on that account. The general, however, had been so completely besieged by the people since his arrival, and was so constantly the subject of outbursts of enthusiasm, that it had become a little embarrassing to him, and the mention of a demonstration in his honor at the theater did not appeal to him as an argument in favor of going.

A note was now brought to him from Mrs. Grant expressing increased anxiety to start for Burlington on the four o'clock train, and he told the President that he must decide definitely not to remain for the play. It was probably this declination which saved the general from assassination, as it was learned afterward that he had been marked for a victim. It was after two o'clock when he shook Mr. Lincoln's hand and said good-by to him, little thinking that it would be an eternal farewell, and that an appalling tragedy was soon to separate them forever. Their final leave-taking was only thirteen months after their first meeting, but during that time their names had been associated with enough momentous events to fill whole volumes of a nation's history.

The general went at once to his rooms at the hotel. As soon as he entered Mrs. Grant said to him: “When I went to my lunch to-day, a man with a wild look followed me into the dining-room, took a seat nearly opposite to me at the table, stared at me continually, and seemed to be listening to my conversation.” The general replied: “Oh, I suppose he did so merely from curiosity.” In fact, the general by this time had become so accustomed to having people stare at him and the members of his family that such acts had ceased to attract his attention. About half-past 3 o'clock the wife of General Rucker called with her carriage to take the party to the Baltimore and Ohio railroad-station. It was a two-seated top-carriage. Mrs. Grant sat with Mrs. Rucker on the back seat. The general, with true republican simplicity, sat on the front seat with the driver. Before they had gone far along Pennsylvania Avenue, a horseman who was riding in the same direction passed them, and as he did so peered into the carriage. When Mrs. Grant caught sight of his face she remarked to the general: “That is the same man [499] who sat down at the lunch-table near me. I don't like his looks.” Before they reached the station the horseman turned and rode back toward them, and again gazed at them intently. This time he attracted the attention of the general, who regarded the man's movements as singular, but made light of the matter so as to allay Mrs. Grant's apprehensions.

On their arrival at the station, they were conducted to the private car of Mr. Garrett, then president of the Baltimore and Ohio railway company. Before the train reached Baltimore a man appeared on the front platform of the car, and tried to get in; but the conductor had locked the door so that the general would not be troubled with visitors, and the man did not succeed in entering. The general and Mrs. Grant drove across Philadelphia about midnight from the Broad street and Washington Avenue station to the Walnut street wharf on the Delaware River, for the purpose of crossing the ferry and then taking the cars to Burlington. As the general had been detained so long at the White House that he was not able to get luncheon before starting, and as there was an additional ride in prospect, a stop was made at Bloodgood's Hotel, near the ferry, for the purpose of getting supper. The general had just taken his seat with Mrs. Grant at the table in the supper-room when a telegram was brought in and handed to him. His whereabouts was known to the telegraph people from the fact that he had sent a message to Bloodgood's ordering the supper in advance. The general read the despatch, dropped his head, and sat in perfect silence.

Then came another, and still another despatch, but not a word was spoken. Mrs. Grant now broke the silence by saying: “Ulyss, what do the telegrams say? Do they bring any bad news?” “I will read them to you,” the general replied in a voice which betrayed his emotion; “but first prepare yourself for the most painful and startling news that could be received, and control your feelings so as not to betray the nature of the despatches to the servants.” He then read to her the telegrams conveying the appalling announcement that Mr. Lincoln, Mr. Seward, and probably the Vice-President, Mr. Johnson, had been assassinated, and warning the general to look out for his own safety. A special train was at once ordered to take him back to Washington, but finding that he could take Mrs. Grant to Burlington (less than an hour's ride), and return to Philadelphia nearly as soon as his train could be got ready, he continued on, took her to her destination, returned to Philadelphia, and was in Washington the next morning.

///////////

Grant took his family to Burlington in 1864 to avoid the war’s physical conflict. Mrs. Grant and her children lived at 309 Wood Street. But does someone know how long Grant and his wife did not see their children? Weeks? Months? A year? I remember having read somewhere that Gen. Grant had visited his family the last time prior to his victories at the Battles of the Wilderness (was that May 1864 ???).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Grant and Lincoln's invitation - loetar44 - 10-07-2014, 06:02 AM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - HerbS - 10-08-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - HerbS - 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - HerbS - 10-09-2014, 09:44 AM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - loetar44 - 10-09-2014 03:41 PM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - HerbS - 10-09-2014, 04:01 PM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - HerbS - 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - Hess1865 - 10-09-2014, 07:51 PM
RE: Grant and Lincoln's invitation - HerbS - 10-10-2014, 04:00 PM