Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell
08-10-2012, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 11:49 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell
(08-10-2012 11:30 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  It's my guess and opinion - that this was so. I think also that emotional blackmail might have been employed to wind up the participants beyond their common sense. Perhaps the use of family and emotional guilt. For instance, Powell lost at least one brother to the war, could he have been promised not only glory for his part in this, but also revenge for his brother's death and saving his family from the aftermath of the South losing that the war might bring? Could he have been so wound up, that he was prepared to act in such a foolhardy manner? I'm not sure the influence of Booth alone would do this.

If someone offered me safe passage, protection and a swift guaranteed exit, then I might be less concerned with a contingency and the finer details of the responsibility of my own escape. Just a thought.

(08-10-2012 07:56 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I am glad you brought this up.......

We may need to start a new thread " My Favorite Lincoln Assassination Theories. A good book about this is William Hanchett's "The Lincoln Murder Conspiracies" He examines several of the popular theories and reaches an interesting conclusion. I won't spoil the ending, you'll have to read it.

Lots's of interesting books by different writers arguing their own ideas. Watch the Book section of this forum. Several of the older books are on the web on the Open Library. Another good reference is http://www.Lincoln-Assassination.com - the message board. Several of us who frequently posted on that web site have moved over to this forum. That forum has lots of great notes and comments, as well as some challenging ideas about the assassination (many made by the members here).

I tried to join that site...twice. But nobody let me in Confused As you can see, from my avi....Rhett consoled me.

You are in good hands and more than welcome here, Maddie! Wink

So "Stay Tuned!"

(08-10-2012 11:30 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  It's my guess and opinion - that this was so. I think also that emotional blackmail might have been employed to wind up the participants beyond their common sense. Perhaps the use of family and emotional guilt. For instance, Powell lost at least one brother to the war, could he have been promised not only glory for his part in this, but also revenge for his brother's death and saving his family from the aftermath of the South losing that the war might bring? Could he have been so wound up, that he was prepared to act in such a foolhardy manner? I'm not sure the influence of Booth alone would do this.

If someone offered me safe passage, protection and a swift guaranteed exit, then I might be less concerned with a contingency and the finer details of the responsibility of my own escape. Just a thought.

(08-10-2012 07:56 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I am glad you brought this up.......

We may need to start a new thread " My Favorite Lincoln Assassination Theories. A good book about this is William Hanchett's "The Lincoln Murder Conspiracies" He examines several of the popular theories and reaches an interesting conclusion. I won't spoil the ending, you'll have to read it.

Lots's of interesting books by different writers arguing their own ideas. Watch the Book section of this forum. Several of the older books are on the web on the Open Library. Another good reference is http://www.Lincoln-Assassination.com - the message board. Several of us who frequently posted on that web site have moved over to this forum. That forum has lots of great notes and comments, as well as some challenging ideas about the assassination (many made by the members here).

I tried to join that site...twice. But nobody let me in Confused As you can see, from my avi....Rhett consoled me.

(08-10-2012 11:25 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I love to speculate with the best of them, but I'm going to do my usual "history teacher" warning and say to please stipulate in your speculative postings that it is YOUR OPINION, not gospel truth. I hope that young students and beginning researchers join our conversations here, and I would hate for them to take some of our "guesses" as truth.

I think it would be very helpful also if we state our documentable reasons for thinking what we think. I have participated in other blogs where things got carried away, wrong information was being posted and repeated several times, etc.

I apologize if I sound like a disciplinarian or something, but I've been burned on this before... Roger is a former teacher, like I, so I'm pretty sure he backs me up on this.

Amen, Sister Laurie !!! Wink

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell - BettyO - 08-10-2012 11:47 AM