Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell
08-09-2012, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 07:33 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell
(08-09-2012 08:30 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(08-09-2012 08:23 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 08:03 PM)BettyO Wrote:  He could not have ridden on a train (and he had more than enough train fare - $25.00) in such a getup. He needed to look respectable to distract attention away from himself.

If he had $25, why not check into a cheap motel, buy (or steal off a close line?) some inexpensive, but clean clothes, a hat, and get a hot meal? Going to Surratt's boarding house for help, someone living there would have to see and recognize him. He must have believed that he would get help there (from JohnS? or Mary?)

With $25, he's not as destitue as I thought.

What was 25$ worth back then as opposed to now? $200?

According to a currency converter online - $25.00 in 1865 is the equivalent of approximately $400.00 today. A lot of cash for a 20 year old - and more than enough for train fare!

(08-09-2012 04:14 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 09:58 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  Kate or Betty, What if Mrs. Surratt had played along with Powell and admitted knowing who he was? Do you think that this would have saved her from the gallows? I think that this denial of knowing who Powell was on the night he showed up at the boarding house sort of sealed her fate. I don't think John Lloyd's testimony or Louis weichmann's would have been enough to convict her. I most certainly could be wrong here!

Craig

Well, she proved herself to be a liar, which is always a bad move. Makes you wonder just how smart this lot really were. Not much from the sound of it.

(08-08-2012 08:03 PM)BettyO Wrote:  I, like Laurie believe that the boy was injured (possible concussion since he told Gillette that he was knocked out from being thrown when his horse fell with him; he did have facial injuries - black eye and busted lip.) He needed cover and he needed it quickly. Yes, he could have foraged it out in the open. But he more than likely knew that Federal soldiers were going to be out scouring the countryside looking for himself, Booth or anyone else involved. His plan was to skedaddle and skedaddle quickly - a key Mosby maneuver. He apparently knew or thought that Mrs. Surratt would take him in. He needed to get cleaned up, get a warm meal and most importantly, acquire a hat! For a Victorian gentleman to go about without a hat was the same as if he were to go about without his pants on! He would be conspicuous - extremely conspicuous; hence, the "made up stocking cap" made out of his undershirt sleeve. He could not have ridden on a train (and he had more than enough train fare - $25.00) in such a getup. He needed to look respectable to distract attention away from himself. He saw Mrs. Surratt as the key. Unfortunately for him, he did not think that detectives would be there when he called. Hence her denial of him. So, naive - yes, probably so. He was very young and he was a country boy to boot - not a city sophisticate. But stupid? No. He could think pretty cleverly when dead on his feet.

I'm wondering why on earth there was no contingency plan? Surely to God they must have planned some escape route or had the presence of mind to stash a change of clothes somewhere? It seems to me the whole thing was badly planned and thought out. Not the work of hardened assassins but more over zealous amateurs. Also, if he did not think the detectives would be there when he called, why was he carrying that pick axe and pretending to be a labourer?

You would think that Powell would have had a change of clothing; at least a clean collar and tie and perhaps a spare hat! He certainly made sure he had duplicates of other articles; i.e. two toothbrushes and two handkerchiefs! According to some accounts he even had a cake of "fine toilet soap" as well as a pair of gloves, a nail brush, comb, hairbrush and also a bottle of hair oil. He was obviously prepared for any contingency in a minor emergency -- in case he lost his toothbrush or hankie, but certainly NOT as far as a hat was concerned! And a hat was a major article. Again - this appears to me to be something that shows that the boy was ill prepared...or at a distinct disadvantage as far as planning for emergencies go!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Surratt's Denial of Lewis Powell - BettyO - 08-09-2012 07:25 PM